Monday, May 23, 2016

Why I Shop on Etsy

If you follow my paintings, you'll notice that I post a lot of my work through Etsy. I also work with clients through Etsy on commissioned projects. But I thought I'd take just a moment today to mention that I make a conscious effort to SHOP on Etsy - to purchase gifts and other household items through Etsy whenever I can - and I think it's something everyone should consider.

Just this week, I thought I'd get a little gift for my two nieces, as they have a dance recital coming up, and I'm not going to be able to make it. But I wanted them to know that I was thinking of them - so I thought of the lovely 19th century ballerina and dance studio paintings by Edgar Degas, did a little bit of searching on Etsy and found a fantastic artist in California who makes all types of custom jewelry featuring many images from the public domain, including the Degas paintings. While I could have headed down to my local Target and spent about the same amount of money on something mass-produced, now my nieces will get a custom piece tailored just to their interests and hopefully gain a little bit more of an appreciation for things handmade by professional artisans. And I was able to send my gift budget in the direction of an independent artist who stands behind her work, instead of passing my cash on to a corporation.

I'm sure there are mixed opinions out there about Etsy, but I've still found that it's one of the best sites out there for connecting artists of all types with buyers looking for quality handmade products online. If you are interested in reading more about why people choose to shop on Etsy instead of big corporate websites, check out 6 Reasons People Buy on Etsy by EverythingEtsy.com. Enjoy!