On the Easel - Step by Step of Alice in Wonderland and Crayons - Trompe L'Oeil Daily Painting Art

"Do you play croquet?," acrylic on panel, 5" x 5". 

I've always loved the Alice in Wonderland stories. The books are on my shelves, I must have watched that 1980's made-for-TV movie a hundred times, and I just adore the amazing Alice in Wonderland digital collages created by the artist Maggie Taylor. Nothing, however, beats the original illustrations by John Tenniel (1820-1914), in collaboration with the Danziel brothers who did the final engravings. So for my painting today I created a collage using one of my favorite Alice illustrations, printed it on some aged paper, and of course added crayons and colored in a bit. I think it came together as a nice cross between contemporary colors and objects and tradition. I used my paint to mimic the cross-hatching of the original illustration, and decided to use a dark bronze-brown background to hold the piece together.

Here's some progression photos I snapped with my phone as I worked. Thanks for looking!

 My Subject at left, and the beginning sketch with just a bit of color.


 

Popular Posts